In part one of this series, we talked about what your deliverables are and why they're important. Today, we’re going to outline tips and tricks any project manager can use to ensure that their deliverables are always put together and ready for presentation.
How to Create Bulletproof Deliverables
- Make sure every deliverable item is clearly defined and that you have the necessary context to carry it forward to fruition.
- Be meticulously thorough when taking down each deliverable and what they encompass. The more comprehensive your resulting outline is, the less you’ll have to bug stakeholders and potentially disappoint.
- Develop a project schedule and loop your stakeholders into it – give them every opportunity to be active participants in the process, even if they’re more of the hands-off type.
Implement Quality Control
Before a pilot even thinks of starting the engine of an airplane, they religiously follow a standardized pre-flight process – making sure every switch and valve is in the correct position, that the flight controls are properly rigged and moving freely, that there is enough fuel and that the fuel is not contaminated or discolored… the list goes on. Pilots perform these checks each and every time because they simply cannot afford to overlook a potentially deadly flaw in the fitness of their aircraft for flight.
Treat your deliverables the same way – use a rigid approval process and measure each of your deliverables against that standard. Ensure that your deliverables are complete, clear, consistent, concise, credible, and free from errors.
- Concise: The deliverable focuses solely on its original objectives.
- Clear: Does the deliverable make sense? Is it easy to understand?
- Consistent: Does the deliverable match and clearly integrate with all of the other deliverables?
- Credible: Has the deliverable been scrutinized by someone with adequate knowledge of its involved processes?
- Complete: Does the deliverable cover everything it should?
- Free from Error: Is the deliverable reliable and correct in form?
As you gain more experience as a project manager, your checklist will lengthen and tailor itself to your specific use-case. Customize it to fulfill your needs within your industry.
Manage Your Deliverables Effectively
Keeping track of dozens of different deliverables becomes a tedious task, and a fool’s errand if done manually across a team of people. Make use of project management software like Viewpath to bring your entire team into the fold of your world – and let them help you manage your projects. Add team members and stakeholders as resources to your projects and enjoy real-time updates of your progress and quick reporting available at your fingertips.
Need help getting started? We’re happy to help.